Christmas is all around us, and before you begin gorging on festive treats and extending cheat days to weeks, here is 3 And A Half Cafe’s Christmas special menu that is sure to keep you on track.
First up, Cranberry Balsamic Roasted Chicken – simple yet healthy dinner for your holiday table. The sweet and tangy balsamic chicken marinade makes this one pan roasted chicken extra juicy and extra crispy. Great idea for meal prep or make ahead meals.
2.5 lbs chicken thighs or breasts, with skin on (around 4 to 6 chicken thighs or breast) See notes for lower fat option
a sprinkle of dried Italian herbs (optional)
1/3 cup to 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (or previously frozen)
1 tbsp each maple syrup and balsamic vinegar mixed together to coat chicken during roasting
For the Marinade:
1/3 cup cranberries
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp gluten free tamari sauce or coconut aminos (optional)
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black peppers
2 garlic cloves (or 1 tsp minced)
1. Clean your chicken, then place in a roasting or baking dish. Set aside.
Make the Balsamic Chicken Marinade:
1. Blend all the balsamic chicken marinade ingredients listed above in a food processor or blender until liquified and smooth.
2. Pour marinade over the chicken thighs, coating evenly.
3. Cover and place in fridge to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hrs.
4. Once marinated, preheat oven to 375F.
5. Remove chicken from fridge.
4. Add extra 1/3 to 1/2 cup cranberries, thyme, and Italian herbs to the dish. Spread it out evenly on and around the chicken.
5. Bake skin side down first for 25-30 minutes.
6. Remove and turn skin side up. Check for doneness. Then brush each chicken skin with the maple syrup/balsamic vinegar combo.
7. Add more seasoning (like dried herbs, salt, pepper) to the top if desired. NOTE: If using fresh herbs, wait to add until after you remove the chicken from the oven.
8. Depending on the thickness of your chicken thighs, either bake a little longer skin side up, then broil. Or if chicken is almost done and not pink, then skip extra baking and just broil for about 3-4 minutes or until skin is crispy and chicken is cooked evenly inside. NOTE: If using boneless chicken, cooking time will be around 35 minutes total.
9. After thoroughly cooked, remove from oven.
10. Spoon the sauce from the pan onto each chicken thigh/breast and a pinch of black pepper or cracked pepper.
11. Serve with the roasted cranberries on top and any extra fresh herbs desired.